January 10, 2010

To-Do List

Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. (1 Peter 5:8, Amplified Bible)

I came upon 1 Peter 5 yesterday, when I did a search for the word "balance." And I found something that I just had to share, so I saved it for today, which is good since I overslept my worship CD by a good half hour.

I very strongly urge you, dear reader, if you don't already to be sure you read the entire chapter around a verse you are seeking. If you're like me, you'll vaguely remember something said somewhere and the word "balance" might have been in it, so you go online and do a search. That's a great way to find the verse, but so far I've found so much more of interest by readingt the verse in context.

Ok, that being said, 1 Peter 5 gives an absolutely fantastic to-do list, if you're ever sitting around and thinking "hm, what kind of person should I be today?) Just go through the verses. Except for one little blurb about the church, the whole thing is verse after verse of how we should "do" life (the numbers are my own, not verses):

1. Tend your flock, those who have been sent to follow you.
2. Be an example of holy living to your flock.
3. Be subject to those who are older or whom God has allowed to be set above you.
4. Humble yourself before others.
5. Cast your cares on God alone.
6. Be well-balanced of mind and behavior.
7. Withstand the devil in your life, as you know others must also withstand him in theirs.
8. Accept suffering as a reality, but remember it is for Christ.
9. Greet each other with love and nothing else but love.
10. Have peace between yourself and God, and yourself and your fellow man.

How's that for a top ten list of how to "be" in 2010?

May it be, Lord, may it be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.