January 28, 2010

Don't be Wicked

An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes. For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin. The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; he has ceased to be wise and to do good. Even on his bed he plots evil; he commits himself to a sinful course and does not reject what is wrong. (Psalm 36:1-4)

I found this verse when I was searching for "Words" in the Bible. I was looking to see what the Bible had to say about words because I unfriended someone on Facebook yesterday because of his comments. (My other blog post is all about it if you want to know more about it.)

I just think about the power of words, and how easy it is for people to be hurt or led astray, particularly people who do not know Jesus as their savior. And then I found this verse. I'm not trying to equate this particular person in this particular situation with the "wicked." I actually felt convicted myself of being this person sometimes. How often have I flattered myself to think that I knew what was best, and that my plas were the best plans? How many times, when I was in the midst of sin, did I think about it in bed, and plan it out?

When we ignore God in our lives we suffer, because even though we feel that we are doing right, and are justified in our actions, He knows our heats, and He knows His plan, and if we are not living in accordance to it, then we need to be redirected.

I ask you, God, to redirect my thoughts toward Your thoughts, to keep me from the human tendancy towards wickedness and self-sufficiency. And I ask that you would work in this situation with the other person, that he would recognize that his words are lasting, and cutting, and no amount of explaining them away will reverse their negative effect.And help me, through your grace, to never be the other person in this situation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.