January 1, 2010

It Begins with a Word

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not undersood it. (John 1:1-2)

This is the Word of God. Thanks be to God.

I have started this blog not because I need another venue but because I need to hold myself accountable to a promise. My church does a 21-day fast every January, and while we do abstain from food at varying levels throughout the weeks, it is also suggested that we consider other things to fast, such as television, the internet, or texting. I decided this year, for the first time, to fast an hour of sleep.

For those of you who know me, you are already quite shocked, I am sure. I do enjoy my sleep, even though I don't get much of it. But I have realized that the biggest thing missing in my life is my relationship with God. I just don't put time or energy into it. And if you think about a friendship where one person does not persue communication with the other, the relationship tends to die, or at least lose its potency.

So I have decided to ardently seek God, and to get up an hour earlier in order to do it. My current plan is to read the Bible, books about the Bible, listen to and sing along with worship music, speak to my Creator and listen for what He has to share with me. I hope that He will give me revelation not only about myself but revelation of His word, and perhaps even revelations that will bless anyone who happens upon this blog.

Consider this my online faith journal. And it's one where you can play along. If you're here now, I invite you to stay, to follow along as I attempt this lofty goal of getting up an hour early every day and not sleeping through my quiet time with God. I will do my best to post honestly about how these times go. On weekdays I haven't been getting up until 7am so that means I'll be getting up at 6. Weekends are completely up in the air depending on my plans so I am allowing for flexibility in the time of day, though not the amount of time, that I seek the Lord's face and voice.

I have so far only committed to 21 days, January 2nd through the 22nd, but I do hope to continue beyond then, because we need Christ every day, whether or not we admit it.

May you be blessed today, and may you be covered in the majesty of Christ's love for you in this moment.

1 comment:

  1. I will be keeping you in prayer. I had this epiphany a few years ago, where I had this relationship w/ God on the surface, after years of being a Christian, but I didn't 'love' Him. And it was sad to me. I set my heart to seek Him for that year, and the next summer, I gave the whole summer to just focus on Him and I am telling you, I fell in love. With Him. It was one of the most amazing summers of my life. Nothing crazy did I do, but I set my heart to just go after Him and Him alone, He went after ME. With passion and love and intimacy. He won my heart. It was amazing. I hope you will have an amazing time. It changed my life. I'm excited for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.