January 19, 2010

Does Your Attitude Stink?

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:5-11)

When I wake up in the morning, I don't usually think "Ok, how can I be like Jesus today? How can I die to myself and serve others?"

That's a confession, not just a commentary.

I couldn't quite find the second verse I wanted, but there are plenty of places that talk about how Israel was a "stench" in someone's nostrils. And elsewhere it says that our righteous actions are a sweet fragrance.

So I guess the question is: Is what you do a fragrance or a stench in God's nostrils? Does your attitude stink?

I think a lot of times my attitude stinks. I think of myself, of how tired I am, how much I want my own plans for my life to come to fruition, how badly I want God to go through my to-do list and check things off... and suddenly I'll have gotten through the day and I probably couldn't tell you a single person I was wholeheartedly "Jesus" to.

Given that we are called to be Jesus above anything else, that is rather embarrasing to admit.

When I started this fast, and this blog, I had two questions for God. They're actually on a post-it on the wall next to me right now: "Who am I?" and "Who have you created me to be?"

And it's taken me almost 3 weeks to understand the answer. I am God's creation. I am broken, yet redeemed. I am flawed, yet fearfully and wonderfully made.

And who was I created to be? Jesus--to everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.