January 15, 2010

O my Strength, Come Quickly

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. (Psalm 22:14)
But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me. (Psalm 22:19)

When I sat down at the computer this morning I thought "I've got nuthin." No words of wisdom, no Bible verses that were sifting through my mind, no ideas whatsoever except "I'm exhausted."

But I am determined to be faithful to this time, so I went to Biblegateway.com and stared at it for a while. I wish they had an "I feel lucky" button like Google has.

And then the thought came "I feel so empty." So I looked up "empty," But wouldn't you know it, nothing that came up really spoke to where I am. So I had to think if I couldn't easily find a verse to speak to what I don't have, perhaps I could find a verse about what I need. So this time I looked up Strength. And, not unsurprisingly to anyone who is familiar with the Bible, I found myself in Psalms.

David had much more reason than I to despair and cry out to God in agony. But his words give us hope and direction in our own situation. And I do feel poured out, like water. As though I were a vase that is always bent over to empty out the water, but never has time to turn back up right to receive the water from the fountain. So instead the water is just splashing on the sides of the vase, wasted.

Thank God in His economy nothing is absolutely wasted. But the point of this is David cries out to God, saying How long will you let me stay like this? I'm almost finished, I can't go on any more.

And yet, David's mind then turns to praise. For God IS our hope and our strength, our safety and our deliverance. And no matter our sorrows, He is there to provide peace and comfort.

So I rest on this today. I am poured out, God, but I lean on you for strength and renewal. I cannot get through this day alone, so thank God that you are with me. You do all things well; you do not simply want me to survive, you want me to prosper. And I thank you for the plans that you have in store, the blessings that you have set aside for me. You are the only true God, the only true strength, the only true wisdom, and you share your blessings generously.

O my strength, come quickly today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.