January 26, 2010

And the Young Will Dream Dreams

Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. (Ecclesiastes 5:7)

As I settled in to listen to my worship music this morning, I thought "Hm, I should write about praise today. Yes, that's perfect." But then while listening, I fell asleep, and had a dream, parts of which were pretty cool, and parts that were disconcerting.

The cool part is that I had what I believe is a continuation of a dream I'd had before, where I went to a gym with my physical therapist and met this beautiful man in a red shirt and an arm brace, who was also there with his phyiscal therapist. And in today's dream he came over to me again and was gorgeous and charming and very much interested in seeing me again.

The rest of the dream had weird parts. Like, I was there at 10:30 in the morning, only my appointments are for 12:30 so somehow I had apparently just up and left work at 10:30 that day for no apparent reason. And instead of going right back to work (which I knew I had to do) I sat down in a folding chair in front of a building, and a woman came who wanted to take a picture of her family with me, but she had the type of camera I had in jr. high, and she couldn't get the angle right, but then her husband pushed a button and it became a digital camera, which would have been great except then the dream morphed and we were trying to help the woman buy a TV with a touch screen, and then we were in a house and the children were helping us figure out the technology (of course) and the doorbell rang and one of the kids broke some glass running to get it.

What???

But you know, if you can connect parts of a dream to something that happened to you that day, chances are that's all the dream was. I've been thinking a lot about my physical therapy, so that makes sense. Then the guy--well we will hold out hope that it's a somewhat true vision, but there's a very good chance I dreamed about him the first time a few days ago, when I saw this incredibly beautiful man who runs one of our stores, who also happened to call me yesterday with some work-related question. And I can't make an easy correlation to everything else, and won't bother typing it all out here, but there's a good chance it was all just my mind sifting through yesterday. The main weird thing about it is just that it was so incredibly vivid, and when my dreams are vivid like that, they tend to disturb me, and I begin to wonder if they have meaning.

What's interesting is I was in the middle of a vivid dream when my alarm went off, although I don't remember it, and I don't recall having such a vivid dream (or being that deeply asleep) while listeing to my worship in the morning. So perhaps the significance is just in that. Perhaps it's God's way of telling me that I have to start paying attention to my dreams. Maybe God is getting ready to tell me something, and He needs me to be receptive to it, and willing to remember it and put it down, instead of letting it get lost in the day's preparations.

Maybe God will give me news of a gorgeous man in my life. I'm ok with that. :)

But as a last note, when I went to look up "dream" and "meaning" in the Bible, I got three things. Genesis (Joseph and his dream, and the egyptians' dreams that Joseph interpreted); Daniel (the king's dream that Daniel interpreted), and right in the middle (I almost missed it) was Ecclesiastes, which told me that much of dreaming doesn't mean anything.

So very, very confusing, isn't it? And I'm not really sure what it all means, so I'm just gonna end it here, because this is all I know right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.