February 18, 2010

Written in the Dust

O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you will be put to shame. Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust because they have forsaken the LORD, the spring of living water. (Jeremiah 17:13)

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:7)

You know, I never really cared much what Jesus wrote in the ground that day when he saved the woman who had committed adultery from being stoned. I know that men and women have thought about it, debated about it, and probably written about it ad nauseum.

And I'm sure I'm not the only person to come upon Jeremiah 17:13, but this, this I've never heard referenced before. Do you suppose it's connected? Christ came to fulfill the prophesies of the Old Testament, which he did. Could he have also written their names in the dust?

Of course I also just looked at the New Living Translation of Jeremiah and it said "will be buried in the dust" so perhaps I'm totally wrong. But I rather like the idea that Jesus was writing their names in the dust, to fulfill the promise to those who were familiar with the scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.