February 5, 2010

Hosanna

The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, "Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Hosanna in the highest!" (Matthew 21:9)

As I sat down to the computer I was listening a song called Hosanna, one of the myriad "Hosanna" songs that exist. How surprising, then, it was to find out that the word is only in the Bible 6 times, two of which are in the above verse.

Not that it's a bad thing, I was just surprised. But then if Hosanna is a praise to Jesus, there is only the one time (the triumphal entry) that the Bible really talks about what the people did/said when he showed up. Perhaps there were hosannas all over the place back then.

Hosanna n. a shout of praise or adoration; an acclamation.

I wonder, do we "hosanna" all over the place today?

And think about it this way... we already know that God wins.

Hmmm.

I don't hosanna all the time.

Perhaps we need to change that.

I praise you Lord God, I lift up your holy name. I sing Hosanna, I cry out in adoration. You are the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end, there is nothing you do not know and nothing that you cannot do. You are Love and you love us despite ourselves. You are the cause of our existance and the avenue for our salvation. Holy, holy are you God. Hosanna to you Lord God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.