February 15, 2010

Dream a Little Dream...

'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. (Acts 2:17)

I love this verse, because God is telling His people that he is giving all of them the workings of the Holy Spirit. It's not so much that only the sons and daughters will prophesy, or that dreaming will only happen when you get old. Rather He's just giving examples of the types of gifts, and the various groups of people that will operate in them. In other words: Here are three gifts (prophesy, visions, dreams) and here's a sampling of the people who will do them (in other words, everybody).

Which is good, since I had a dream last night. :)

I don't exactly know the significance (if something stands out to you, let me know!) but it was a very vivid dream, so I figure I'll share it.

I was in a classroom, possibly in some sort of detention because there were two other guys at the table with me whom I didn't know, and one of them was definitely a troublemaker of sorts. There was also a teacher standing at the chalkboard with one of those long pointy stick things. And in the background there was another set of students at a table with a teacher.

So in my dream, the teacher started to point at something on the board and to speak about it, but the "troublemaker" started to hum, loudly. Just one long note, really annoying. Well then I started to hum, attempting to match the note, but the troublemaker kept changing it. At about the same time, the teacher started humming, in that whole "if you think humming is annoying then I'll do it back at you and we'll just see how you like it" mentality. Then the other guy at the table started humming too, and it settled into a beautiful sort of dissonance, sort of like a bagpipe.

So of course what did I do? I started singing Amazing Grace, with this humming in the background. And let me tell you, I sang it beautifully. I had trills where I've never put one before, I hit some high harmonies that were just gorgeous, and the thing is, I could feel myself singing. You know, I felt the pressure in my head and chest when I got to the end of my breath, I could feel my vocal chords moving... I almost wonder if I was singing out loud in real life. Because it felt so very real.

And that's pretty much the dream. I finished the first verse, everyone stopped humming, and then my alarm clock went off.

So I have no idea what the dream means, if anything. Maybe something will come to me--I certainly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.