February 11, 2010

Take Up Your Cross---Every Day

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

Every. Day.

Every day I have to die to self, put others before me, forgive, forget, love, work, share, pray, follow, lead...

The list just keeps on going. I was thinking yesterday how difficult it is for me to do all of the exercises that I've been given for physical therapy (for my carpal tunnel and now my back pain). And it's good to have these exercises, I know they help, but seriously every day I'm supposed to do these things? Sometimes 2-3 times a day?

And while you're at it, don't forget that I need to start drinking more water so there's something to focus on.

It's quite discouraging, really. I think my whole mindset has always been "How do I get through the next few super-busy days so on Saturday I can do nothing?" And then I think about people who have children, for whom that isn't an option. How do they manage to get up early every single day? Is there something wrong with me that I lose my mind when I don't get to sleep in at least once every few weeks?

But Jesus told us that in order to follow Him, we have to pick up our cross daily. That's every. single. day.

I just don't know how I can do it.

Of course He also said that we can do nothing without God. So perhaps that's my problem, I've forgotten to rely on God for the every-day things in my life. Maybe He's just waiting to get me through this, only I keep walking right past Him.

Lord please show me today how you can give me the energy and strength I need to get by, and help me to see what I need to work on, and what things can perhaps go by the wayside. Help me to remember always to reach out to you daily, as I shoulder my cross, that I may follow you. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I know I forget this one alot...it's really hard. My internal ugliness comes out the more I am asked to do this. Hang in there...we'll get it. He'll help us.

    ReplyDelete

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.