March 11, 2010

Transformation

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

Do you ever say "God, why won't you talk to me?" or "I wish I could hear what God is trying to say to me" or "I wish I knew what God wanted me to do." These are common sentiments, and ones that I feel like saying all the time.

And the funny thing is, Paul answers these questions for us. Why can't we hear God or know His will for us? Because we're not in tune with Him. We're paying too much attention to the world. Thus if God were to tell us to do something against-the-grain (like, say, giving a whole bag of groceries to the homeless guy outside the store) we tend to shrug it off as some random, weird thought.

But what if that was God speaking specifically to us?

I do not speak much from my own experience here, because I'm a good little conformist. But if we worship and follow the crucified Christ, we must understand that going against the grain is just going to be normal for us. Maybe it's little things like not going to lunch with all the gossips, apologizing for a mistake instead of making excuses, and refusing to give in to our every craving (developing self-control). These things will not happen except that we transform our minds. Maybe once or twice you could avoid gossip, for example, but to make it a way of life means that you actually have to close your mind off to it. And if you can then open your mind up to God, then you will find that you're hearing Him a lot more.

So let's all try that today, and this week, eh? Listen to your thought patterns, and determine if they are wordly or if they are Spirit-led. Squash the worldly ones (it's hard, I know) and develop the Spirit-led thoughts. I betcha you'll see a huge transformation in your life. And you might just find yourself doing God's will, and loving every minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. Your words resonate....
    And are filled with glory and honor.

    ReplyDelete

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.