March 19, 2010

Set Time Aside

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35)

This is one of those verses that makes me not like morning people. Because it's sooo much easier for them to say "yup, get up early to pray, that's what I'll do." No so much me.

Ok, if you've been around here long enough you'll know that I get up an hour earlier than I have to, to listen to worship music and do this blog. But really honestly I spend that hour sleeping on the couch (with the music on) and then just get ready for work faster in order to accommodate the writing. And the praying part... that part is hard for me.

But let's take the morning part out of it, because Jesus also went to be alone and pray during other times of the day. I think the importance is more on the fact that he did pray. So to me the emphasis is not on when Jesus prayed but the fact that he did it. And sadly that's something that I just don't do enough.

Can I change? Is this something I can get into doing more? I do think so. I feel that I have a pretty steady stream of information in my head that I send up God's way. But what I don't do often enough is sit down and listen for Him to speak back to me. I know that this blog is one way that He does, but I know that I can work harder on our relationship.

At work this week we had a program where we talked about our vision, mission and values, and for each one we had to write a list of things we can do in the next 30 days to align ourselves more with them. It's nice, the 30 day goal gives you time to get going on a task, but is still close enough that it's measurable. So let's take the next 30 days and focus on prayer a little bit. Does that mean I'll blog about "prayer" more? Not necessarily. What it means is I will try to introduce a little more "God and me" time into my life. And I invite you to do the same.

Who knos what will happen when we spend more time connected to the Creator of the Universe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.