March 25, 2010

Ask for Wisdom

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. (Proverbs 2:1-5)

This is a rather big "if" statement, right? I mean, you have to both cry out for understanding and look for it in order to receive it. Maaaan, why does life always have to be so hard? Is this why we have to go through so much schooling, to look for wisdom?

Well, no. As much as little miss straight-As over here sometimes hates to say it, schooling does not wisdom make. There is a difference between smart and wise. Smart is knowing that acids and bases explode when mixed; wise is knowing not to do it.

So ok, you might be saying "wait a second, that verse never said wisdom, but it said knowledge." Yes, it did say knowledge. We must seek a knowledge of God. Wisdom is very much shored up by knowledge. But what is Solomon (the author of Proverbs) known for? His wisdom. This "understanding" for which we are to cry out and seek, is wisdom.

Do you do that? Do you cry out for it? I admit I do not always. Usually I decide what I think is right and barrel on ahead in life, sometimes remembering to at least ask God along the way to bless it. But what God ardently desires to give us is the wisdom to know which path leads the best way before we even start out.

But, you have to ask. God grants us each gifts, and some he has bestowed with wisdom at birth. But wisdom is a gift that is available to all who ask. Those who seek only "learning" or who seek to lead themselves by creating their own wisdom are merely munching away on the apple of the tree of knowledge, while Eden burns around them.

Seek the knowledge and understanding of God, ask Him to grant it to you, and He will. He loves giving gifts to His children, only He does not delight in giving us harmful gifts, and sometimes we do not realize that what we ask for is not the best for us.

So start with this one today. Ask for wisdom.

Lord God, I adore you for taking care of me so far in my life, and for giving me the insight that you already have. Increase my wisdom God, so that I may see clearly the path before me. Help me to discern the righteousness that you wish me to live out, and to share Your wisdom with Your other children, not for my own glory, but for yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found a Moment of Majesty today, please share it here.